Attention: For optimal viewing, please use Firefox or Google Chrome. This website is not fully supported by Internet Explorer.

For the Public
How to complain

How to make a complaint

If you feel you’ve been treated unfairly by a provincial or a local public sector organization, or want to dispute a decision that affects you, follow these steps to try to resolve your issue.

  Try to resolve your issue directly with the organization

Complaints are usually handled best by raising them directly with the organization or program you are concerned about. Most organizations have a process or person that can listen to and review complaints or concerns.

If you don’t know how best to raise your concerns with the organization you’re dealing with, you can:

  • Ask a person at the organization whether they have a process for complaints or appeals (also called reviews or reconsiderations)
  • Search the organization’s website for information about complaints or appeals
  • Visit our Complaint Checker for information about complaint and appeal processes for our most commonly complained about programs

Here are a few tips:

  • ✓ Ask to speak with a supervisor or manager about your issue
  • ✓ Clearly explain what your issue is and what you’d like the outcome to be
  • ✓ Write down the names of people you speak with, when you spoke with them and what they said
  • ✓ Exercise your right to be heard, but remain calm and polite
  • ✓ Keep copies of the documents you send
  • ✓ If you are still unsatisfied, ask what appeal and review processes are available and pay close attention to their criteria and deadlines

If you have reached the end of the road and are not getting the answers or help you need, continue with the steps below to file your complaint.

  Make sure we’re the right people to help you

We can investigate complaints about many public sector organizations in BC. Visit our Complaint Checker for more information about what we can and can’t help with, including information about where else you can go for help.

If you’re unable to find the answers you’re looking for call us at 1-800-567-FAIR (3247).

We are available Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, excluding statutory holidays. Translation services are available.

Please note: on Wednesdays our telephone hours are from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm only.

  Have the information and documents ready

To help us serve you better, when you contact us, try to have the following information handy when you contact us:

  • Your contact information
  • What public sector organization your complaint is about
  • How you are personally affected by the issue you’re complaint is about
  • What outcome you are hoping for
  • Other complaint, review, or appeal process you’ve tried to resolve your concerns and the response you received
  • Contact information for the people you’ve dealt with
  • Dates for the most important events and communications related to your complaint
  • Any documents relevant to your complaint such as emails, copies of letters received, or any correspondence or research you have done
  Make your complaint

There are several ways you can complain to us:

Visit us

2nd floor – 947 Fort St.
Victoria, BC

* a call in advance will allow us to serve you more promptly

Mail us

Download and mail the form to:

PO Box 9039, Stn Prov Gov’t.
Victoria, BC V8W 9A5

Call us

1-800-567-FAIR (3247)


You can also fax us at: