Schools, School Districts, Universities & Colleges

We can investigate complaints about public schools and all 60 school districts in BC, as well as public colleges and universities. Before you make a complaint to us, we want to make sure you’ve tried to resolve your complaint directly with the people involved. Here’s the complaint information for you and some tips on how to make your complaint.

How to Complain about your School, School District, University or College

Every school district is required by the School Act to have an Appeals process for issues that relate to the health, safety or education of a student. Many of these issues can be further appealed to a provincial Superintendent of Appeals.

Each University or College has its own bylaws and procedures, but all will generally have a formal process to review grade appeals and student discipline.

Who to Contact?

Contact your school, school district office, college or university directly to ask about complaint and appeal options, or check their website for more information.

Already completed this process?

If you have already gone through this process and want to make a formal complaint to us, here’s what to do next:

Not Sure? Contact Us!

Please contact us directly if you don’t think it would be appropriate for us to require you to go through an available complaint or review process before we consider your complaint. We can consider your specific circumstances before we decide – including the urgency of your complaint or any disabilities or barriers you may be experiencing.

Need Support?

Do you need advocacy, support or legal advice? Click here for a list of links that may help you get the assistance you need.